Essential Public Health Services
Ten essential public health services have been described:
- Assess and monitor population health.
- Investigate, diagnose and address health hazards and root causes.
- Communicate effectively to inform and educate.
- Strengthen, support and mobilize communities and partnerships.
- Create, champion and implement policies, plans and laws.
- Utilize legal and regulatory actions.
- Enable equitable access.
- Build a diverse and skilled workforce.
- Improve and innovate through evaluation, research and quality improvement.
- Build and maintain a strong organizational infrastructure for public health.
The above list reflects an American perspective, but may be applied to other contexts as well.